Using HTML code, you can embed a video, located from a variety of websites, without having to worry about owning it or downloading to your own computer. This is a valuable technique as your students do not need to click on a link and be taken to YouTube or another video hosting site. Students can simply watch the video directly in your Moodle page.
Step 1: Find and copy the embed code from YouTube or other video sharing site.
- Navigate to the video that you would like to embed.
- Underneath the video window, click on the Share or Embed link
- You will see a window or page area appear that looks similar to the following - YouTube often updates it's interface so it might not look exactly like this:
- Notice there are three different tabs shown in the above example. We want to select the Embed tab to access the embed code
- When the embed code appears (it's the code that starts with the word <iframe), select inside of the text box so the entire paragraph is highlighted.
- Right click on the code and click the Copy button (or use the Ctrl. + C keyboard shortcut). You have now copied the video's embed code.
- Keep this tab or window open as you proceed to Step 2 below.
Step 2: Paste the embed code into Moodle
- Navigate to the topic/week of your choice, and click on the + Add an activity or resource menu.
- Choose Label to add the video to your main course page, or choose Page to add it to a supplemental page in Moodle. Then click Add at the bottom.
- Give your video a title by typing in the Name field.
- In the text editor, expand all the tools by clicking on the toggle editor button (highlight 1 below).
- Click on the HTML source code toolbar icon that says (see highlight 2 in the image below). This is the code view for this page.
6. Once inside of the code view area, paste the copied embed code from Step 1 (right click inside of the window and click Paste or use the Ctrl. + V keyboard shortcut).
7. When you are done, click Save and Return to Course.
8. Check to make sure the video is embedded in your course. Your video should be playable by clicking on the play button.