How to add a Xerox Multi-Function (MFD) printer on an Apple Mac
First you will add the Xerox Multi-Function printer to your Mac so that it is in the Mac's list of available printers. Then you will configure the printer's setup on your Mac so that it will send your department's accounting print code to the printer for each time that you print.
Print codes and Network Accounting allow the University to track spending across the hundreds of Xerox printers on campus.
On most faculty and staff computers, your department's MFDs are already set up to work, but if the computer updated to the wrong driver or if you re-add the printer, you may have to set up your print code again. This guide will walk through the process of adding the MFD and setting up the proper codes.
As part of the installation you need to install the newest xerox drivers for the printer. You can get the driver here-
How to add the Xerox MFD printer:
- Click on the apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen and select "System Preferences".
- Select the "Printers & Scanners" icon.
- Select the Plus (+) sign to add a new printer to the computer
- Select the IP tab at the top left corner of the window.
- Fill in the following information
- Address: printers.plymouth.edu
- Queue: the name of the printer you want to add (MFDs will always contain the word Multi)
- Name: this will initially fill in with the Address name, but you'll want to change it to the name of the printer.
- Use: "Select Software" and navigate to the model of the printer, for example: "Xerox WorkCentre 7120, 2.79.0"
- Protocol: Ensure that it's set to Line Printer Daemon (LPD)
- Select ADD and the printer will be added to the Mac.
- A page may appear with various settings you can change about the MFD (paper trays, finisher, etc), which can all be left at the default settings.
How to configure the print code:
- Go to your Applications folder and find the TextEdit program, which is a basic word-processing program that comes with Macs. You can also search for TextEdit using the the Spotlight search icon, a magnifying glass, in the upper right corner of your screen.
- Open TextEdit and create a test document.
- Select File and then Print.
- Select the "Show Details" button.
- Open the drop down labeled TextEdit.
- Select "Xerox Features".
- Open the drop down labeled "Paper/Output".
- Select Advanced, and then select Accounting.
- From the drop-down menu, select "Xerox Network Accounting" or "Send user ID and Account ID".
- Enter the your print code under 'Default User ID.'
- Enter 9292 under 'Default Account ID.'
- Click OK and you will be returned to the printing menu.
- Click on the drop-down menu labeled Presets and select 'Save Current Settings as Preset.'
- Name the new preset "PSU Code" and save. Now each time the you print to this MFD, it will automatically enter their print code and account ID.
Note: Once this is successfully configured, send a test document to the printer to verify. If you attempt to print a .pdf document to the MFD, you will need to select "Printer" from the bottom of the print menu,
Then select Show Details, and change the Preset to the newly created "PSU Code."