Building a Quiz
Posted by , Last modified by Katherine Martell on 21 August 2016 07:57 AM
The Quiz feature is a tool that allows for automatic grading, assuming you create questions that have definitive answers. There are a number of various question types for a wide range of possibilities for your assessment. Follow the steps below to add a quiz to your course.
Start With Your Course Question Bank
The best way to begin building a quiz is to start with your course Question Bank.This area allows you to organize your questions into categories, so you can reuse questions later in the course.
1. From your course main page, select the Turn editing on button in the top right corner.
2. Navigate to the topic/week of your choice, and click on the + Add an activity or resource menu.
3. Choose the Quiz radio button and select Add at the bottom of the window.
4. Enter the appropriate information in the Name field and enter student instructions in the Description field.
5. Scroll down through the settings for the quiz and change any of the existing default settings to meet your needs (date, time, attempts, etc.).
6. When you have completed these selections, click on the Save and display button.
1. You should be looking at the Quiz information page. Click on the Edit quiz button to build your quiz.
2. Locate the Question Bank box on the right side of the screen. Check the Show button (if it is marked as Hide you can leave it alone).
3. Open the appropriate category from the Select a category drop down menu. The page will reload when you select a different category.
4. To add a question to your quiz, click on the Add question button.
5. If you'd like to add several questions at once you can check off the questions using the check boxes and then selecting the Add to quiz button.
6. After the page reloads, your question will have been added to the quiz (scroll to the bottom of the quiz page to see the question ordering).
7. If you would like to change the score of the quiz, locate the Maximum grade text box and enter in a new score. Select the Save button to confirm your changes.
Tip: To randomly select questions from a category, be sure the correct category is selected and scroll to the bottom of the question bank. There is a drop down menu for Add random questions from category. Select the amount of questions you'd like to randomly add and select the Add to quiz button to its right. This will place a random amount of questions into your quiz, so each student will have different questions to take.