In Moodle's Assignment activity, as soon as a student attaches a file, it is considered to be submitted. Students will receive an email receipt confirming the submission and instructors will be able to access the file(s) in the grading area. However, students are still able to edit their submission even after the due date. If they update their assignment after this point, Moodle will display a message confirming the late submission. To avoid this from happening, instructors can lock submissions for an individual student or for the entire class.
Locking or Unlocking a Student Submission
- Login to myPlymouth
- Select the myCourses tab and the myCourses window appears.
- In the center column, select your class title from the appropriate semester category in the myCourses channel. You will now be looking at your course's home page.
- Click on the assignment name that you wish to grade.
- In the Grading Summary section, select the link that says View/grade all submission (this is the user submission area).
- You will now see your class roster listed vertically down the first few columns. Locate the Select column and select the checkbox for a particular student or for all students.
- At the bottom of the page, locate the With selected... drop down menu. Make sure it's set to Lock submissions and select the Go button.
- Your student's assignment is now locked, and they can no longer attach files.
- To unlock a student's submission simply check off their name in the first column and choose the Unlock submissions option before selecting Go.