Posted by , Last modified by Katherine Martell on 05 February 2016 04:46 PM
The Questionnaire feature is commonly used as an anonymous survey tool. Instructors can set up Questionnaire surveys with as many types of questions as they'd like (multiple choice, essay, etc.). If desired, Questionnaires can be graded. When a student completes a graded Questionnaire, that number (grade value) will appear in a new Questionnaire column in Gradebook. However, use caution if deciding to take this approach, as it may reveal students who have taken the Questionnaire and eliminate anonymity.
Step 1 - Create the Questionnaire shell
- Login to myPlymouth
- Select the myCourses tab and the myCourses window appears.
- In the center column, select your class title from the appropriate semester category in the myCourses channel. You will now be looking at your course's home page.
- Click on the Turn editing on button in the top right corner.
- Navigate to the topic/week of your choice, and click on the + Add an activity or resource menu.
- Choose the Questionnaire radio button and select Add at the bottom of the window.
- Enter the appropriate information in the Name and Summary fields according to your activity.
- Now make the appropriate selections in the Response option section.
- Type: Select how many times your students can attempt this questionnaire.
- Respondent Type: Select whether to display the student's full name or if it will be anonymous.
- Students can view ALL responses: Select whether your students are able to view results from the questionnaire.
- Save/Resume answers: Allow your students to save and resume the questionnaire for a later time.
- Allow branching questions: choose yes or no
- Auto numbering: choose wheter or not you want to auto-number pages and questions.
- Submission grade: Select a grade that your students receive after completion of the questionnaire. Select No grade if grading is not necessary.
- In the content options, let's choose Create New unless you have some content already created of course, then click on the radio button next to that item.
- Further down the page you will see the section where you choose your Group or Grouping settings. Please refer to our Creating Groups or Groupings page for details on these options.
- When you have completed your selections, click on Save and display.
Step 2 - Create the questions
- You should now be looking at your Questionnaire shell, and in the body of the page it will say This questionnaire does not contain any questions.
- If you are instead looking at your course homepage, find the Questionnaire shell in your course, and click on it's name to arrive at the same view.
- In the Category dropdown menu, leave the selection as Default for (your course name).
- Across the top of the page you will see a series of tabs, click on the Questions tab.
- In the dropdown box below the word Questions, you have a number of choices for question types:
- Check Boxes
- Date Box
- Dropdown choices
- Essay box - HTML editor possible, set width and height of box
- Numeric - can set length and number of decimal places
- Radio buttons - have labels you determine for each question
- Scale - can customize in many ways
- Text box
- Make your selection from the menu and click on Add selected question type.
- Complete the information in the following window regarding the Question Name and Question Text.
- When you have made your edits, click on Save Changes and you will be returned to your Questions page. Add more questions if desired using the same methods.
- To preview your Questionnaire, click on the Preview tab.
- When complete, navigate back to your course homepage using the breadcrumbs at the top left of the window.