The Kaltura system offers instructors the ability to create and grade video assignments through Moodle. Set up as a traditional Moodle assignment (click here to learn more), this activity gives students a chance to submit a video file through Kaltura for grading. Learn more about the process below.
- Login to myPlymouth
- Select the myCourses tab.
- In the center column, select your class title from the appropriate semester category in the myCourses channel. You will now be looking at your course's home page.
- Click on the Turn editing on button in the top right corner.
- Navigate to the topic/week of your choice, and click on the + Add an activity or resource menu.
- Choose the Kaltura Media Assignment' radio button and select Add at the bottom of the window.
- Create a name for your assignment in the Name field (required) and a description/instructions if you wish (optional).
- Edit the dates in the Available from and Due Date menus.
- Select a maximum grade for your assignment in the Grade drop down menu.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select the Save and display button (brings you directly into the assignment).
- If you accidentally selected the Save and return to course button, simply select the assignment from your course page.
- Once students begin to submit their video assignments, you will be able to access their submissions by clicking on the Grade submissions button.
- Students have the ability to upload a new video, record from their webcam, or record their own screen (with or without audio). Students need to submit their work (there is a button calledSubmit media) in order for the instructor to grade it. See the image below to view the submission area from the student's perspective.
- Once you click into the Grade submissions area, a list of student submissions will appear. Scroll to the right using the slide bar and select Grade next to the student you'd like to review.
- Watch the student's submission, select a Grade, and provide some Feedback for this submission. Be sure to select the Save changes button at the bottom of the page when you're finished.
- Student's grades and feedback will automatically be sent to a new column in your Gradebook.
Note: Students who have not submitted a video assignment will not appear in your submission list. Their gradebook entry will be left blank so manually overriding their score (visit the grades area, turn the editing button on, and enter a "0" for that student) is suggested.