Establishing a Moodle presence for your course doesn't necessarily mean you have to add all sorts of bells and whistles. Simply adding your syllabus and making it available to students is greatly beneficial to both you and your students. As the instructor, you no longer have to print out and distribute copies of the syllabus, and students can access this information anywhere, at anytime. Please follow the steps below to learn how to add your syllabus to your course.
Adding Your Syllabus
- In your Moodle course, click the Turn editing on button in the upper right section of the screen.
- Moodle displays your content in a modular form (these modules are called Topics). You may add as much content to a Topic as you'd like. When editing is turned on, you'll have the ability to add, remove, or edit content that's listed in any Topic.
- Once editing has been turned on, click the Add a resource... drop down menu in the Topic 1 area.
- In the drop down menu select the File option.
- In the Name field, type in a name for your file (e.g. Syllabus).
- Scroll down to the Content section, and select the Add button.
- Moodle's File Picker window will appear. Click the Upload a file option on the left.
- Then, on the right side, click on the Browse... button to find the file on your computer. Once you found your file, select it and choose Open (or double click the file).
- Once back in the File Picker window, select the Upload this file button at the bottom.
- You will now be brought back to the Adding a New File page. Under the Content section you will see the name of the file you just uploaded.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the Save and return to course' button.
Making Your Course Visible to Students
In order for students to enter your class, you must first make the course visible to them.
- From the course page, scroll down to the Administration block (on the left side).
- Select the Edit settings link.
- Scroll down the page to the General section.
- Scroll to the Visible option menu and select Show.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select Save changes.
Congratulations, you've successfully added your syllabus and published the course! Students can now access your course from the myCourses channel in myPlymouth.