Adding a Webcam Video to a Discussion Post
Posted by , Last modified by Katherine Martell on 05 February 2016 02:58 PM
Instructors or Students - Adding a Webcam Video to a Discussion Post
- Login to myPlymouth
- Select the myCourses tab.
- On the right side of the screen, look for a box called myLearning.
- Click on the Moodle 2 link to visit Moodle's home page.
- On the right side of the screen, you should see a block called Kaltura Video Library. Click on the logo to bring you into your personal video library (see image below).
- Once inside the video library, select the Upload media or record from webcam button.
- On the left side of the Kaltura pop-up window, select Webcam.
- The Adobe Flash Player will now attempt to connect to any video cameras connected to your computer. Select Allow to confirm this connection.
- If your computer has a built-in webcam, it will turn on and you'll be able to see yourself on the screen. The drop down menu should read Integrated Webcam (this is your built-in camera).
- If you have another camera connected to your computer, open the drop down menu and select it from the list.
- To begin recording, select the Record button.
- When you are done filming, select the Stop button.
- Review your video by selecting the Play button.
- Re-record your video by selecting the Record button.
- When you are satisfied with your video, select the Next button.
- Enter any details regarding this video as you'd like (Title, Tags, Description) and select the Next button.
Your video has been successfully uploaded to the Kaltura server. Now it is time to attach it to a discussion post.
- Enter into the appropriate Moodle course and visit the desired discussion forum.
- Start a new discussion by selecting the Add a new discussion topic button or click on an existing post and select Reply.
- Type out a name for this post in the Subject box (if you are starting a new discussion).
- You should be looking at the text editor area. Select the My Media icon in the formatting toolbar.
- The Insert/edit embedded media pop up window will appear. Click on the Find or upload a sound, video, or applet... button.
- Moodle's File picker window will now come up. On the left hand side, select the Choose a Kaltura video button (red arrow in image below)
- At the top of this screen select the Search button (blue arrow in image below) and then press the Enter key in the search box (green arrow in image below). This will search the Kaltura system for any videos you have uploaded.
- Your Kaltura library should appear. Click on any of the videos you wish to add (one at a time) and choose the Select this file button.
- Select the Insert button to return to your forum post.
- You will see a link to your video file in the text box. This is normal. Once this post has saved, Moodle will recognize that link as a video and will display it in full. Type out your remaining message in the text box (don't remove the video link) and select the Post to forum button at the bottom of the page.
- Click back into your new post and you'll see the webcam video in full.