CTS - Setting up a Web Conference at PSU - Best Practices
Posted by , Last modified by Jessica Brusa on 05 April 2018 10:32 AM
If you need to initiate a web conference at Plymouth State University, we would like to offer you the following suggestions to help make your call successful.
What do I do first?
- Zoom the the default web conferencing suite we use at PSU. Every active student and employee already has an account. Here is the link: https://plymouthstate.zoom.us/
- After you log into your account, you will need to make a reservation and invite others to your call. As the host, you are responsible for doing this step.
- For your computer, make sure you test your Zoom account BEFORE the day of the call. You may contact a member of the ITS Help Desk to initiate a test call. Check your microphone and camera. If you have technical issues, there are good tutorials on the Zoom help page.
- For PSU customers, there are web conferencing ready conference rooms on campus. Please contact Mary Hill or Todd Kent for a list. If a room is not available, Classroom Technology Services may be able to bring a web conferencing kit to a regular conference room (subject to availability). Contact CTS for further information.
On the day of your call…
- Pick a location that is relatively free from noise and other distractions.
- Make sure the wired or wireless Internet you will be using is reliable. Coffee shops and other public “Hot Spots” are not always the best places to do a SKYPE call. The bandwidth they give you may not be adequate for maintaining a good quality call.
- Make sure you are on-line and signed into you Zoom account at least 10 minutes before your call. This will help keep the other party on schedule.
- Dress the part! Don’t forget, we can see you!