Adding Closed Captions to Kaltura Videos
Posted by Katherine Martell, Last modified by Katherine Martell on 21 July 2017 11:59 AM
Closed captioning can be added to any video uploaded to Kaltura. Plymouth State University has unlimited automated captioning with 70%-80% Accuracy.
To add captions, all you need to do is add the tag “CaptionASR” to your video. To do this:1. On the myCourses tab of myPlymouth, click on Kaltura in the myLearning box on the right side of the page. Alternatively, from any Moodle course, find the Navigation block, and click the arrow next to Dashboard, then click My Media
2. Find the video you'd like to add captions to, and click the Edit button.
3. In the video's Details section, scroll down to find the Tags field. Enter the term "captionasr" (this exact term needs to be entered) and hit return. Then, click the Save button.
4. Your automatic captioning request will be placed into the machine’s queue and will be available based on the order in which it was received. This will take anywhere from 5 minutes to several hours.
If you'd like to download the captions file from your video:
1. On your My Media page, ensure that captions have been created by looking for a list of automated tags under your video.
2. Click the Edit button
3. Click the Captions tab
4. Click the Download icon (see image below) to download an .SRT file
5. SRT files can be opened and edited with TextEdit (Mac) or in Notepad (Windows)
6. Edited captions files can be uploaded back into Kaltura by clicking the Upload captions file button in the Captions tab