Managing Your SmartAuth Profile
On the SmartAuth Profile page (https://smartauth.usnh.edu/secureauth36), you can perform the following actions:
- Enable multi-factor authentication for your user account by selecting the “Enable” button. You can disable multi-factor by selecting the “Disable” button.
- Manage Phone Numbers. You can remove a registered phone number by selecting the Remove button next to the phone number. Or select the Register a New Phone Number link to add a new one.
- Manage Devices Registered with the Authenticate App. In addition to receiving passcodes via voice or sms/text, you can also use the SecureAuth Authenticate app. This is optional.
With the Authenticate app, you can either enter the passcode displayed in the app or use the ‘Push to Accept’ functionality which eliminates the need to manually enter the code. The primary advantage of using the Authenticate App is that it doesn’t require cellular service or wifi to work.
Instructions for registering a device with the Authentication App are in Appendix A below.
Using SmartAuth when Accessing a Protected Resource
When you login to a service protected with SmartAuth, after successfully providing your username and password, you will be prompted to select one of you registered methods for delivery of the passcode.
If you select Voice, SMS or the Authenticate App, you will be prompted to enter the passcode delivered to you via your chosen method:
- Once you have successfully entered the passcode, authentication is complete and you will be logged in to the application/service.
If you select, “Send login request”, you will receive a login request on your mobile device:
- Select “Approve this request” to complete authentication and be logged into the application/service.
Appendix A: Registering a Device with Authenticate App
- Download the SecureAuth Authenticate app from the Apple or Google Play Store.
- From a Mac/PC, login to the SmartAuth Profile page (https://smartauth.usnh.edu/secureauth36).
- Select “Register Authenticate App on a New Device”. You will be presented with the registration page:
- Open the Authenticate app on your device and select + and “Connect with QR code”
- In the Authenticate app, select “Scan QR Code”.
- Point your mobile device camera at the QR code on the registration page on your PC/Mac screen. When successful, a code displays in the Authenticator App:
- Enter code displayed in Authenticate App into the input box in Section 3 “Confirm and Name” of the registration page. Once entered, select the Confirm button.
- Enter a name for your device (or select from an existing one) and select Save.
- A confirmation will display. Select Return to go back to your SmartAuth Profile. In the Authenticate App, select finished.