Copying an older course to a newer course - Moodle's Import Feature
Posted by , Last modified by Melinda Barnsley on 15 April 2020 02:10 PM
Depending on what method suits you best for learning, we have provided two options to learn how to use Moodle's import feature. Either a video or step by step instructions.
Here is the video below:
If you do not want to see the transcript, click the double arrow icon to get the full screen.
The Import feature is used to copy content from a previous course into a new Moodle shell. The course you are importing from is left unaffected. The Import feature can also be used to move over entire courses as well, making this the quickest way to "rollover" to the next semester. Import can also be used to copy individual items from one course to another (i.e. copying a quiz from section 1 into section 2).
Note: Please avoid using the Backup and Restore functions in Moodle to copy course content from previous semesters. This approach can remove current student enrollments from your course. If you need to restore a course to a blank shell, please contact email@example.com for assistance.
8. You will see a list of courses that you are enrolled in as a teacher (by default, Moodle only displays 10 courses). Scroll to the bottom of the list and type in your older course's CRN into the search box.
9. Click on Search and Moodle will display your older course. Click on the radio button to select it, and then the Continue button.
10. The Backup Settings page appears. Simply click the Next button.
Tip: click Jump to final step if you would like to include the entire course.
11. The Include page appears next. Deselect any items you DO NOT want to bring over into your new course. When you are finished, scroll to the bottom and click Next.
12. The last page is the review page. Scroll to the bottom and click Perform import.
13. After a few moments, you will see the import confirmation page. Click the Continue button.
14. You will be brought back to your course page. Everything from your older course has now
If you have any questions, please contact the ITS Help Desk at (603)535-2929 or email firstname.lastname@example.org