Closed captioning is now automatically added to any videos a user uploads to Kaltura, however, you may wish to edit the files. Plymouth State University has unlimited automated captioning with 70%-80% Accuracy. For this process, Google Chrome is the recommended browser, but following the below instructions you can use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
1. On the myCourses tab of Plymouth, click on Kaltura in the myLearning box on the right side of the page. Alternatively, from any Moodle course, find the Navigation block, and click the arrow next to Dashboard, then click My Media
2. Find the video you'd like to add captions to from your list on the My Media page and select the pencil icon, this will bring you to the edit menu.
3. Scroll down and select the "Captions" menu item below your video and your transcript. Select "Hide Transcript" if you're having trouble scrolling down to the lower menu.
4. You now have the option to either edit the file within the Kaltura system or edit the file with a .srt download.
Editing Captions within Kaltura
- We'll begin with editing within the Kaltura system. Select "Edit Captions".
- This will bring up your transcript and captions. Make your changes keeping in mind that each section of your transcript requires time code to keep the captions associated with the video in the proper place. Click on the text you want to edit and make your changes, the text box will become editable once you click on it. You can also search within your captions, replace text, and add a speaker. These changes will be reflected in the transcript as well.
- Once you have made your changes, be sure to scroll to the right and select "save" to save your changes. We also recommend saving as you work (every 5-10 minutes) to assure you don't lose any changes that you make.
Download Your Captions for Editing
If you'd like to download the captions file follow steps 1 through 4 above.
- Click the Download icon (see image below) to download an .SRT file
- SRT files can be opened and edited with TextEdit (Mac) or in Notepad (Windows)
- Edited captions files can be uploaded back into Kaltura by clicking the Upload captions file button in the Captions tab
- You'll want to select browse and upload your updated captions file, be sure to select the language as well. Then click "Save"
- You may see more than one captions file now available, you'll want to first delete the old file by selecting the "X" icon.
- To activate the new file you'll want to select the "checkmark" icon. Now you've successfully manually updated your captions!